Happy National Lipstick Day! It’s almost over? Who cares? Friday evening after work is the perfect time after all to put on your lippy and your dancing shoes.
While dark lips are often seen as the beauty staple of autumn, on the Spring/Summer 2016 runways, dark hues from burgundy to mauve were featured in a major way making dark lips a big summer trend. I have been experimenting with dark lips since this spring and I am now a convert despite often being wary of any shade of lipstick darker than burgundy before. Take a leaf out of Miu Miu, Burberry and Anna Sui’s Spring/Summer 2016 runways and celebs like Rihanna and Kylie Jenner who swear by darker shades and pucker up in shades of wine, berry and marsala this season.
Before you rock berry though, here are a few tips to take into account.
- Keep your eye make-up minimal; let your pout do the talking.
- Make like Anna Sui girls and pair dark lips with graphic liner.
- Go for glossy cherry for statement lips a la for Givenchy.
- Swap your trusted red lippy for dark lips for a modern twist.
- Make like Rihanna and take your look from day to night with wine-stained lips.
- Try a deep purple hue for an edgier look – like the models on the Cushnie et Ochs runway.
- Try the autumnal oxblood shades a la Burberry.
- For a red-carpet worthy look, vamp it up with maroon.
- Turn the clock back to the ’90s and take a dip in chocolate – chocolate lippy, that is!
- For a brave overdose, why not match your pout to eye make up?
- Rewind to 2015 and bring back ombre, but in darker hue just like Demi Lovato.
- High shine burgundy makes for an uber-glam look a la Camilla Belle.